Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

WaNDerEr is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
CGTantra Community Award Digital Matte Painting Challenge - 2nd Runner Up 
Total Awards: 2

Thumbs up WINNERS OF 'THE TOWN GATE' CHALLENGE (Sept-Oct'11)

Hi Everyone,

We are proud to announce the winners of CGTantra monthly Digital Matte Painting Challenges (Sept-Oct'11) - 'THE TOWN GATE'!!

Note from Alex Jenyon: We thought it would be a great idea this month to do a paint over for each entry, instead of just writing comments. For some of the entries, this was easy and the changes were reasonably obvious, for others it was much harder. We didn't have much time to spend on each one, but hopefully it was a useful exercise, and a different way of giving feedback.

Here's the list of Top 2 winners of this challenge:

1st Place :

SCHARB
(Paint over version)

Not much to change - mainly atmosphere and color correction. Brick castles look a bit weird in real life (we tend to expect castles to be made out of large stone blocks), so you gave yourself a tricky job. Still not entirely convinced with the tents - I think the white one ends up being too much of a focal point.

2nd Place :

MIRAGENZ
(Paint over version)

This one was strong from very early on. It was a brave effort with clear design and strong lighting - tough to pull off, but you did a good job! The main problems here were that all of your elements didn't seem to conform to the strong lighting you had, Also, whilst you had great textures, some of them had a little too much local contrast and ended up looking too manipulated. In the paint over, I balanced the warm lighting with some cooler shadows and balanced the values to help the depth in the shot. I also added the suggestion of a couple more buildings going back which would help expand the composition outside of the confines of the 3d layout. A few extra small details to help the scale were the only other slight adjustment. Good job on the bounce light under the arch, it was too strong being almost the strongest lit thing in the scene, but good attention to detail and reasoning out of the scene lighting!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Last edited by WaNDerEr; 25-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.
WaNDerEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

Special Jury Mentions - List of matte-paintings which showed potential & creativity:

LIGHTPUNK
(Paint over version)

A great looking scene and another challenging one to get right. Lighting was the overriding issue here, particularly noticeable in the incredibly strong cast shadow from the beam but a fully lit opposite side of that gate post. You have some great textures, but the black levels needed some adjustments to sell the depth, some were really deep blacks even in the distance. In the paint over I added more of a sense of lighting and cast shadow to sell the strong shadow in the foreground and balanced the colors a little so that the sky didn't feel so separate from the buildings (a bit of cooler fill light and warming the sky a little did the trick). Also, a path to let the eye enter the painting seemed to help here as well as repeating the idea of the foreground plants to help the depth and scale some more (and the lighting, another opportunity for the long cast shadows!) Finally a couple more distant elements to help the town feel larger and more real world, and to help the composition. nice work, and I love that you captured the wild west feel, one of my favorite settings!

DANTE HR
(Paint over version)

Nice work Dante! The textures here again were great! This one again struggled a little with the lighting. You had a few hard shadows that suggested strong hard lighting, but this wasn't repeated in other obvious places, and the foreground gate pillar definitely needed the same lighting to justify the background lighting. The strong light you suggested gave a good opportunity to have the buildings casting shadows onto each other which really sells the scene, and I have indicated this in my paint over. Also, some more saturation in the roof tiles helps to sell the lighting further, and gives a really graphic element to repeat into the distance and suggest a larger town. A sky that conformed to your lighting will help in this kind of shot too (yours worked fine but didn't leave any opportunity to really show lighting direction). I balanced the hues in this too to get rid of the strong green cast and added a few background buildings and hills that help to reinforce and repeat ideas in the foreground. Great work, and a nice focal point. Good attention to perspective too and a nice interpretation of the 3d scene that still works with your architecture. The market stalls really help to add the details that you would expect to see from this type of period.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Last edited by WaNDerEr; 25-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

Here are the critiques for rest of the final entries, who have shown great potentialities.

PAINT OVER BY ALEX JENYON

Frenchygraphic:

Main issues were shadow density and color, and the lack of light bounce (radiosity) we would expect from white surfaces in bright sunlight. I've made some changes to the distant landscape which I think balances the image better, but it's still not perfect. Would help realism to have more details in the scene, as it's a bit empty and sterile (feels like a theme park). Depending on the time period, this could be cables, car tracks, laundry lines, TV aerials, pipes, lights, bins/garbage cans, etc. There is no problem with this clean look, but in real life it would be a bit odd, no matter how good the painting is.

Aharnett:

I'm sure you know most of the issues with this one, but the fundamental problems were with the scale of the houses - they weren't consistent, and the design was too simple to be believable. Snow doesn't have to be pure white, either - it needs form, details and shadows too.

Rockhopper:

I can't really do a paint over of this one that's any better than the one you did yourself. The first stage had a good idea, good research, good scaling and good perspective which matched the 3D block model. All the right ingredients. The perspective lines then seemed to be ignored in every subsequent stage. It didn't matter how intricate the detailing was - if the basic fundamentals are wrong, the matte won't work. The perspective on the gate towers is correct at this stage - why did it change?

PAINT OVER BY NICK MARSHALL

Maevy:

Great entry, and the fundamentals were all there! The black levels needed a bit of adjusting to help the depth, and some scale adjustments to make everything work together. The problem with this entry was that it was so overcast that there was almost no lighting to speak of, it was all totally diffuse. This isn't a bad thing in itself, but as there were still differences in lighting direction within this overcast scenario, these would have been much clearer if the lighting was pushed. This rested on the textures being really strong, but there were some clear texture repeats and that stopped this one scoring higher. In the paint over I really just gave this a slight lighting direction and painted out the texture repeats, whilst fixing the scale problems. Good entry, and no reason to suggest that you have to go all out fantasy and sci-fi, so good job on getting something that was actually pretty close to photo real, just wasn't really pushing yourself too much and did have its errors.

Last edited by WaNDerEr; 25-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

:Prizes:

WINNER -
DMP Winner Badge in CGTantra Forums
Homepage Showcase of Winning Artwork
MAKING of Winning Entry by Artist to be published on CGTantra
Archmodels 1-75 DVD by Evermotion
DOOMSDay Game DVD by Evermotion
STASH Subscription - 1 Year

RUNNERUP -
DMP Runner Up Badge in CGTantra Forums
Archinteriors 1-15 DVD by Evermotion
DOOMSDAY Game DVD by Evermotion
STASH Subscription - 6 Months

For special jury mentions -
1 Month STASH Subscription

The Top 2 winners are requested to mail their mailing addresses to:
sutapa@cgtantra.com and add CC to support@cgtantra.com
We will dispatch the prizes to the winners, as soon as we receive your mailing addresses!

Top three winners are requested to send the "making of" tutorials of their matte-paintings to: sutapa@cgtantra.com and add CC to support@cgtantra.com

On behalf of the entire CGTantra Team, I'd like to thank all the contestants, who participated in this contest, & made this contest a successful one! We'd like to thank the panel of honorable Jury members, who have shown their support, right from the first day of the contest, & provided their very precious comments & critiques on the matte-paintings of the contestants! We'd also like to thank the members, who continuously provided their valuable critiques & comments on the contestants' works throughout the entire month!

Last edited by WaNDerEr; 25-10-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 25-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Rockhoppermedia
Frequenter

Rockhoppermedia is on a distinguished road

well done everyone, as for me giving up matte painting for good. See ya.
Rockhoppermedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
sankeyjob
Novice

sankeyjob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Congrats winners....
sankeyjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
maevey
Novice

maevey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback, Nick and Alex!! And congratulations, Scharb and Miragenz!

Yeah, I definitely didn't try anything too difficult - I was testing the water of matte painting and after my horrible experience of trying to fit London China Town into the layout, I decided to go for the more blocky buildings of rural China as I could see that as a more achievable goal. I find, especially when I'm trying something new, that having a goal that I see as achievable helps keep me motivated. Having finished it I can see now that I could have tried something more challenging.

Thanks for the opportunity and the feedback! Now onto more difficult things

Good luck with the future, everyone,
Maeve
maevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
nickmarshallvfx
Fresher

nickmarshallvfx is on a distinguished road

While this thread is still active I just wanted to say a big thanks to Sutapa for his efforts on the challenges. Its quite thankless work organising this kind of thing, but Sutapa was on the ball every month, and often had to work around the judges (particularly mine, sorry Sutapa!) tight professional schedules and deal with late replies to emails etc.
So thanks to Sutapa for making sure these contests run smoothly every month!

And congratulations to all the contestants for finishing their entries and getting them submitted on time. For every amazing painting there is an average painting, but for every average painting there are 3 paintings that are left unfinished, and for every painting left unfinished there are 5 paintings that are never started. So everyone getting something out to a good standard and on time is testament to the good work ethic and collaborative spirit that has been consistent every month. Its been a pleasure judging these, you made it very easy for us!

@ Maevey - Exactly, I actually spoke to Alex whilst doing your paintover because we liked the fact that you didn't need to go over the top with a very hyper-real beauty lighting scenario, but at the same time that left you with a much easier piece to finish to a good standard. We deliberated on your entry a little while, but just decided that because some other entries had done some more challenging things and finished them up to an equal standard, that we should award those efforts, but we liked your final image, it was a great piece of work, as were all of the submissions!
nickmarshallvfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
lightpunk
Regular

lightpunk is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Digital Matte Painting Challenge - Runner Up 
Total Awards: 1

Congratulations Scharb and Miragenz! I really loved both your images - great job!

Thank you so much to Nick, Alex, Jason and WanDerEr for all your hard work on running these challenges and especially for going the extra mile on this last one with the paintovers. I didn't even really know what matte painting was when I started these and whilst there is still obviously a huge amount to learn, what little I now do know has come from taking part in these so thank you, it's truly appreciated.

All the best everyone in your future creative endeavours!

Kris
Old 25-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Jadrien
Novice

Jadrien is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Digital Matte Painting Challenge - 2nd Runner Up 
Total Awards: 1

Congrats winners!
Jadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
DanteHR
Fresher

DanteHR is on a distinguished road

Well done everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to do a paint over for everyone guys. Thanks Sutapa for organising. I really like the hills and extra roofs you added (Alex?). It's a shame this is the last challenge. I did two challenges around this time last year, the results of which helped me get my first job as a matte painter, so a big thank you for all the great criticism from fellow artists.

Dante
DanteHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
Alex Jenyon
Frequenter

Alex Jenyon is on a distinguished road

The paintover of yours was by Nick. Great to know the more realistic briefs we've been trying to create for these challenges have been useful in the real world. I think almost all the winners from previous challenges now have jobs as pro matte painters, so it's nice to have helped that process along.
Alex Jenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
nickmarshallvfx
Fresher

@ Dante - As Alex says the paintover on your image was me, we did a totally random split that ended in me painting over Maevy, Miragenz, Lightpunk and yourself and Alex assessing Rich, Adam, Scharb and Frencygraphic. Im glad you think the additions benefitted your painting, as I said in my feedback, it was already shaping up nicely, and your paintover was the only one where I just happened to have a photo that I knew would drop right in there from a trip to Tuscany earlier in the year.
Its a shame that we couldn't afford the time to both give feedback on each of the paintings, but hopefully one set of feedback and a paintover still makes things nice and clear.

N

Last edited by nickmarshallvfx; 26-10-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 26-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
miragenz
Fresher

miragenz is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Digital Matte Painting Challenge - Runner Up Digital Matte Painting Challenge - WINNER 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jenyon View Post
Great to know the more realistic briefs we've been trying to create for these challenges have been useful in the real world. I think almost all the winners from previous challenges now have jobs as pro matte painters, so it's nice to have helped that process along.
oh I wish... I was interested to see how a paintover would work as I thought firing paint back over photo textures would be odd... but I get it now! they are really great and its encouraging to see that all our hard work can actually be stepped up to a final, once we get our 'eye in'... thanks! dave
miragenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
steven369
Fresher

steven369 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to steven369

Very impressive results! Want to say congratulations to everyone and that the paintovers are just super helpful!
steven369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmarshallvfx View Post
While this thread is still active I just wanted to say a big thanks to Sutapa for his efforts on the challenges. Its quite thankless work organising this kind of thing, but Sutapa was on the ball every month, and often had to work around the judges (particularly mine, sorry Sutapa!) tight professional schedules and deal with late replies to emails etc.
So thanks to Sutapa for making sure these contests run smoothly every month!
Hey Nick,
That was so nice! Just a small gender correction....I'm a girl
Well, I really had to had a sleepless night, waiting for your mail this time...haha , but, if something is called thankless effort...that's what you and Alex(previously Jason) were doing since a year. I know how tough it was for both of you to reply in such detail maintaining your busy work schedule. I'm really feeling lack of words to convey my gratitude towards you guys. Had simply a wonderful session!!
Old 26-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteHR View Post
Well done everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to do a paint over for everyone guys. Thanks Sutapa for organising. I really like the hills and extra roofs you added (Alex?). It's a shame this is the last challenge. I did two challenges around this time last year, the results of which helped me get my first job as a matte painter, so a big thank you for all the great criticism from fellow artists.

Dante
Hey DanteHR,
Thanks a lot!!
That is such a good news that you've already grabbed a job in matte painting....On behalf of team CGTantra, I wish you all the luck in your future!!!!
Cheers
Old 26-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
WaNDerEr
Forum Leader

Awards Showcase

Thanks each and everyone, related to this challenge. Without all your efforts it would not have been possible for any single person to make it a huge success.
Hope to get back the same team in future challenges!!
Old 26-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
nickmarshallvfx
Fresher

Sorry Sutapa, should have realised that one from your avatar! And thanks for your kind words, it has been a good run, and nice to see people from these contests breaking into the pro arena. Makes it all worthwhile.

Old 26-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Scharb
Frequenter

Scharb is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Digital Matte Painting Challenge - WINNER Digital Matte Painting Challenge - 2nd Runner Up 

Congratulations to all! This was great challenge.

I must say thank thank you the Jury, Wanderer and CGTantra for these challenges.
I've saw many great works here and got lot of experience here, and its is the most importatnt thing.

Hope see you in future.
Scharb is offline   Reply With Quote