Go Back   cgTantra Forums > Art & Techniques > Lighting & Rendering

Submit Tools Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Diwanshu Gupta
passionate creativity eye

Diwanshu Gupta is on a distinguished road
Default lets talk..

i started this threat about the lighting and rendering problems and tricks . you can ask or share your knowledge. may be this helps....

i have some questions, i am asking to you ..

How to optimise your files in 3D ?

how to use or apply a normal map in 3Ds max ..??

Diffrence between normal map (geomatry normal not the light normal ) and displacement map..??
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Diwanshu Gupta

i have applied a normal map image in 3Ds max vray material normal map slot but it,s gave bad result not looking nice and increases 3x render timeing.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

semiprowolverine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to semiprowolverine

HI Diwanshuu,

First of all a nice gesture by starting a thread where you are sharing issues and knowledge, we can learn if not able to troubleshoot from posts over here.

It's hard to say, about the Normal Map you are using, unless you give us a glimpse of how exactly it looks like, if possible please share the rendered image and the Vray version you are using.
Coming on to the increase in rendering time issue, I guess that has to do with the Anti-Aliasing done by the Vray during the runtime for your normal map. If you are using Adaptive Anti-aliasing then there is an option called Normal Threshold(Nrml Thresh) which you might want to check on as it enables Vray to give priority to only those regions (for AA sampling) in the render where the Normals changes drastically.May I know your computer specificcation especially the processor and RAM you have on your machine as there is a setting under "System Tab" where you can make few changes depending on you system specification.

Cheers,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

http://learningfluids.blogspot.in/
http://evocatematte.blogspot.in/
semiprowolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Diwanshu Gupta

Red face

hey thanks for the reply and the cool tip
i am using 3Ds max 2009 with vray 2 Rt
and working on I7 6400 with intel bord and 1 GB 9500gt graphic card with 16 GB ram ..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwanshu Gupta View Post
hey thanks for the reply and the cool tip
i am using 3Ds max 2009 with vray 2 Rt
and working on I7 6400 with intel bord and 1 GB 9500gt graphic card with 16 GB ram ..
wOw that's one badass configuration, however as you are using Vray RT, my only concern would be with the Graphic card. I haven't tried VrayRT as of now, as most of the people have some sort of issues with this rendering mode, although it's being continuously improved by Chaos Group.
It certainly has issues with Displacment maps which I am not sure is fixed or not.Considering the amount of RAM you have on your machine I will go along wiith the Vray Adv Render as it allows one to configure memory specific changes in the System tab to improve render speed.

To conclude I will suggest you to buy a DDR3 based Graphic Card(assuming the one you have is DDR2) if you want to go with the VRAY RT and there will be more render engines which will follow this path, so it might be a wise decision.Above all of this don't forget to share with us your experience with the Vray RT uptil now, as I am thinking to switch to Vray RT and experiment a bit with the GPU based rendering.

Cheers ,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

Old 13-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Diwanshu Gupta

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiprowolverine View Post
wOw that's one badass configuration, however as you are using Vray RT, my only concern would be with the Graphic card. I haven't tried VrayRT as of now, as most of the people have some sort of issues with this rendering mode, although it's being continuously improved by Chaos Group.
It certainly has issues with Displacment maps which I am not sure is fixed or not.Considering the amount of RAM you have on your machine I will go along wiith the Vray Adv Render as it allows one to configure memory specific changes in the System tab to improve render speed.

To conclude I will suggest you to buy a DDR3 based Graphic Card(assuming the one you have is DDR2) if you want to go with the VRAY RT and there will be more render engines which will follow this path, so it might be a wise decision.Above all of this don't forget to share with us your experience with the Vray RT uptil now, as I am thinking to switch to Vray RT and experiment a bit with the GPU based rendering.

Cheers ,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

hey thanks for the suggestion i will do that and i am exploring now Vray RT i am still experimenting if i got somthing i will deffinatoly share with you .
i am using 16 GB ram but my system uses 6 GB while Rendering(shows in task manager performance tab) i am using 64 Bit windows 7 version do you have any idea how can my system uses the whole memory . and i want to know the exact whole memory uses by system while rendering if you know somthing please tell me .
Old 13-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

hmm surely a problem isn't it?
I've been going through the same problem few weeks back, since I was using Vray Adv I made few changes in "System" tab for example
Increased :
Maximum Tree Depth
Dynamic Memory limit
Decreased:
Face/level Coefficient
One can also increase the bucket size under system settings from 32 to 64 or in your case go above 128 e.g.256 , however bigger values can make your system less stable.

These factors caused Vray to use about 6 GB of Ram, however as you said that Vray is only able to access 6Gb of RAM then in that situation first thing I would like to know is which version of Windows 7 are you using?
The second question I will ask would be what are you rendering, in terms of number of geometries/proxies and other assets like number of materials?

Have you ever noticed your memory utilization going up from 6Gb, as there is some article on Microsoft Website which teaches one to change a Windows API variable called "IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE".
It explains a lot, you can read it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...#memory_limits

Moreover, this variable allows 32 bit Operating System to allow memory demanding Applications access more than 2GB of RAM and in case of 64 bit OS it allows up to 16 TB of memory space access.
Right now it will be hard to say what might be causing this issue, as I am not familiar with Vray RT. Moreover, the minimum memory limit that an application can access in Windows 7 is 8GB(in case of Windows 7 Starter ).
I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

Old 19-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Diwanshu Gupta

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiprowolverine View Post
hmm surely a problem isn't it?
I've been going through the same problem few weeks back, since I was using Vray Adv I made few changes in "System" tab for example
Increased :
Maximum Tree Depth
Dynamic Memory limit
Decreased:
Face/level Coefficient
One can also increase the bucket size under system settings from 32 to 64 or in your case go above 128 e.g.256 , however bigger values can make your system less stable.

These factors caused Vray to use about 6 GB of Ram, however as you said that Vray is only able to access 6Gb of RAM then in that situation first thing I would like to know is which version of Windows 7 are you using?
The second question I will ask would be what are you rendering, in terms of number of geometries/proxies and other assets like number of materials?

Have you ever noticed your memory utilization going up from 6Gb, as there is some article on Microsoft Website which teaches one to change a Windows API variable called "IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE".
It explains a lot, you can read it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...#memory_limits

Moreover, this variable allows 32 bit Operating System to allow memory demanding Applications access more than 2GB of RAM and in case of 64 bit OS it allows up to 16 TB of memory space access.
Right now it will be hard to say what might be causing this issue, as I am not familiar with Vray RT. Moreover, the minimum memory limit that an application can access in Windows 7 is 8GB(in case of Windows 7 Starter ).
I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

sorry for the late reply busy with my freelances .. okey...
i am using windows 7 ulitmate i mean professional 64 bit number of poly is around 2 lakh and proxes are 500 materials used or created around 50
about the article thanks for that but it seems so complicated so wish i read this later about vray advance my system currently using 4 gb of ram while rendering ..i do not come to any conclusion my questions are same
Old 19-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Diwanshu Gupta

one more ques guys please tells your best and time consuming setting for vray advanced to get better images ..
i have facing problem when i render somthing it looks fine in viewport but when save it in png or tiff quality decreases ..i am using dmc sampler with vray Lanczos filter with the value of 1-16 i think that is enough ...
Old 20-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

Quote:
sorry for the late reply busy with my freelances .. okey...
i am using windows 7 ulitmate i mean professional 64 bit number of poly is around 2 lakh and proxes are 500 materials used or created around 50
about the article thanks for that but it seems so complicated so wish i read this later about vray advance my system currently using 4 gb of ram while rendering ..i do not come to any conclusion my questions are same
Hi,
It seems like you have got fair amount of Proxies/Geo/materials in your scene, and as you are using professional 64 bit then I guess your programs should be allowed to access more memory by the Operating System(atleast moe than 4GB).

I will still go with the thought that more memory requirement is based on how heavy/ resource demanding your scene is. Although, since memory allocation is entirely dependent on Operating System I don't know what might be the glitch here.
Try updating or flushing BIOS drivers as it detects and save hardware resources during PC-boot, I think they should be available at manufacturer site ( Sometimes, improper functioning of Hardware is related to BIOS as it accepts the "Interrupt/Resource Request" from the attached devices and hence has a major role to play how you hardware is accessed by a program.)

If that doesn't work, if possible, try to do an operating system re-install when you will have some time.

The best possible settings for V-ray depends on the scene you are using, and there are lot of resources on the web for this it will be hard to nail it down with a generalized opinion. 16 samples may or may not be what you will always require for AA, rendering at higher resolution automatically takes care of the AA(again it depends on what kind of scene you are rendering a static or an animation). In contrast to this, increasing the samples of Primary Bounce Algorithm and secondary bounce algorithm might help you to increase your image quality.

The image quality can also suffer due to the compression or gamma issues, as you might be aware of the fact that our computers are non-linear devices but our 3D application renders in Linear. I always prefer to work with .exr file format and use "Exponential mode" from the Color mapping tab in VRAY, as .exr gives me more color range to play with later in the post and Exponential color mapping avoids any blown up areas in the scene as this mimics the non linear behavior.
Now if you see your image a bit unusual in the .exr file render (e.g. too bright) than try to use LUTs in the compositing softwares Nuke has a nice node callled "ColorLOokup" and I think same can be done in Photoshop by using Curves to increase and decrease the overall gamma of your scene.

I will ask one more question to bug you ,are you using Gamma/LUT settings inside 3DS max?

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

Last edited by semiprowolverine; 20-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Diwanshu Gupta

Lightbulb he he

hey thanks for the info yes i am using 2.2 lenior gamma setting and i am using .exr image formats ..
ok again a question ...
i am render images in max 1280 by 720 when i open it in photoshop it gaves me 72 Dpi result i need 300 Dpi resolution in the same render image size if i render 4k size then i got result of 300 Dpi but it tooks a lot of time so is there any way to increase dpi in any image size ..
Old 30-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

Default Long time :) !

Quote:
hey thanks for the info yes i am using 2.2 lenior gamma setting and i am using .exr image formats ..
ok again a question ...
i am render images in max 1280 by 720 when i open it in photoshop it gaves me 72 Dpi result i need 300 Dpi resolution in the same render image size if i render 4k size then i got result of 300 Dpi but it tooks a lot of time so is there
any way to increase dpi in any image size ..
Hi Diwanshu,

It's nice to hear that you are using .exr file format and are working in the Linear space. .exr being a format which displays image linearly makes me think that you might be looking at the image (without LUTs) on the non-linear Display incorrectly. I hope you must be editing that later, however there are other factors to be considered too.

Anyways, coming on to the question now. In the middle of rendering a scene I cannot open 1 more instance of 3Ds max, but I remember an article where I read someone mentioning to render image with Tiff file format and specify the DPI value there (correct me If I am wrong ). If you are doing this for print(which I hope) then look for the Print size wizard in 3Ds max.

As I understand from your requirement you must be rendering this image for printing then don't you think 1280*720 resolution might be a bit low ?
There is one more thought to this, try using any 32-bit float image with the same resolution and try to open it in Photoshop by changing 96/72 Dpi to 300 while re-sample not check.

Best of luck,

Shashi Kant

Blogs:

Old 30-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
semiprowolverine
Frequenter

Angry oops

I just realized that 32 bit float values are associated with pixel's tone values but not with their numbers in context to some area(e.g. pixels/inch), therefore I guess it would be a wastage of time to convert a 32-bit file in 320 DPI.

Cheers,
Shashi Kant

Blogs:

Old 20-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Diwanshu Gupta

yeahh man thanks but still stuck with the ram thing and one more info that i want to share weather i am right or wrong but want to need views if i am using max 2009 use not more that 6 gb of ram but max 2012 uses around 10 gb of ram but my system had 16 gb of ram how could i use maximum ram if i set it piority to high system become unstable ..???